YWCA of Fort Dodge Center for Life Empowerment
Fort Dodge, IA. 50501
The Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) of Fort Dodge has been in existence since 1909, and at its current location since 1914. The three-story building was originally designed to house permanent and transient women. With dorm style private housing throughout, residents shared kitchen, laundry, bath and lounge space. The building also included club rooms and a gymnasium with showers. Thirty-six rooms were available for rent by women coming into the community for education and employment. From 1915 o 1943, the YWCA Cafeteria served 3 meal daily. The cafeteria continued serving meals until 1961. During its peak of operation, the YWCA Cafeteria was recognized as a social center or motorists and the traveling public.