Don't Know What To Do?
- Article Summary
- Common Ativan Side Effects:
- Less Common Ativan Side Effects:
- Ativan Withdrawal Side Effects
- Ativan Overdose Effects
The Side Effects of Ativan
Catalogue of side effects for the medication Ativan - generic Lorazepam - which is an antianxiety medication and also a mild tranquilizer and sedative. This prescription drug may be used in the treatment of bipolar disorder.
Common Ativan Side Effects:
- Clumsiness or unsteadiness
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- drowsiness; slurred speech
Less Common Ativan Side Effects:
- Abdominal or stomach cramps or pain
- blurred vision or other changes in vision
- changes in sexual desire or ability
- constipation; diarrhea
- dryness of mouth or increased thirst
- false sense of well-being
- increased bronchial secretions or watering of mouth
- muscle spasm
- nausea or vomiting
- problems with urination
- trembling or shaking
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Always Notify Doctor:
Less common: Anxiety; confusion (may be more common in the elderly); fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat; lack of memory of events taking place after benzodiazepine is taken (may be more common with triazolam); mental depression
Rare: Abnormal thinking, including disorientation, delusions (holding false beliefs that cannot be changed by facts), or loss of sense of reality; agitation; behavior changes, including aggressive behavior, bizarre behavior, decreased inhibition, or outbursts of anger; convulsions (seizures); hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there); hypotension (low blood pressure); muscle weakness; skin rash or itching; sore throat, fever, and chills; trouble in sleeping; ulcers or sores in mouth or throat (continuing); uncontrolled movements of body, including the eyes; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusual excitement, nervousness, or irritability; unusual tiredness or weakness (severe); yellow eyes or skin
Ativan Withdrawal Side Effects
- More common: Irritability; nervousness; trouble in sleeping
- Less common: Abdominal or stomach cramps; confusion; fast or pounding heartbeat; increased sense of hearing; increased sensitivity to touch and pain; increased sweating; loss of sense of reality; mental depression; muscle cramps; nausea or vomiting; sensitivity of eyes to light; tingling, burning, or prickly sensations; trembling or shaking
- Rare: Confusion as to time, place, or person; convulsions (seizures); feelings of suspicion or distrust; hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there)
Ativan Overdose Effects
Confusion (continuing); convulsions (seizures); drowsiness (severe) or coma; shakiness; slow heartbeat; slow reflexes; slurred speech (continuing); staggering; troubled breathing; weakness (severe)
For patients having lorazepam injected: Check with your doctor if there is redness, swelling, or pain at the place of injection.
Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some individuals.
Find Top Treatment Facilities Near You
- Inpatient / Residential
- Private / Executive
- Therapeutic Counseling
- Effective Results
Call Us Today!
Speak with a Certified Treatment Assesment Counselor who can go over all your treatment options and help you find the right treatment program that fits your needs.
Discuss Treatment Options!
Our Counselors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to discuss your treatment needs and help you find the right treatment solution.
Call Us Today!