Don't Know What To Do?
- Article Summary
- Hallucinogens: What Are They?
- Dissociative Drugs: What Are They?
- The Various Effects of Hallucinogens and Dissociative Drugs
- Hallucinogens and Dissociative Drugs: The Risks
Hallucinogens and Dissociative Drugs
Hallucinogens and dissociative drugs are just a few of the drugs that are abused by various people all across the world. Hallucinogens can cause wild mood swings as well as real-world sensations. Meanwhile, dissociative drugs can cause a person to feel out of control and disconnected. To know more about hallucinogens and dissociative drugs, read on.
Hallucinogens: What Are They?
Hallucinogens are pharmacological agents that can change a person's consciousness, emotion, thought and perception. These drugs do not purely intensify states of mind; however persuade experiences such as insanity, dreams, trance or meditation.
They work by disrupting the nerve cells and neurotransmitter serotonin interactions in the brain. The serotonin system is involved in controlling the behavioral perceptual and regulatory systems prevailing mood hunger, sexual behavior, muscle control, body temperature, and sensory perception.
Dissociative Drugs: What Are They?
Generally, these drugs were developed to aid in distort perception of a patient's sight, general anesthetics for surgeries, as well as produce feelings or sense of detachment. These drugs work by altering the distribution of the neuro-transmitter glutamate all throughout the brain. Glutamate is involved in the person's responses to his environment, perception of pain, and memory.
Hallucinogens and dissociative drugs comprise of various varieties. They can be either occurred naturally on the surrounding and or process inside the laboratories.
1. LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide). This type of Hallucinogens is made from a substance that can be found in a particular type of fungus which called "ergot." It looks like a white odorless powder that comes in gelatin or blotting paper form. LSD is sold as capsules, tablets and or liquid, taken on a very minimal dosage due to its extreme effect.
2. PCP (phencyclidine). This is an anesthetic type of hallucinogens which is used particularly on animals.
3. Psilocybin. This type of hallucinogens has several varieties found in Australia such as golden tops, blue meanies and liberty caps. It looks like ordinary dried mushrooms. It is usually eaten as fresh, cooked or brewed into a tea and that can be mixed with tobacco. The synthetic psilocybin imitates as white crystalline powder which to be processed into capsules, dissolved in a liquid or capsules.
4. Ketamine. This is also a dissociative anesthetic which used in medical and veterinary locales. Can be swallowed, injected or snorted and occasionally smoked with tobacco.
5. Mescaline. Mescaline is an active ingredient of the peyote cactus once extracted it looks like a white-colored powder. It can be prepared synthetically which appears as various colored powders and capsules.
6. Ecstasy/MDMA and Cannabis. This will become a hallucinogen when taken in high doses.
The Various Effects of Hallucinogens and Dissociative Drugs
Hallucinogens and dissociative drugs were used by many cultures for religious or mystical experiences. A hallucinogens effect depends from particular persons' size, weight, health, mood and how much dosage has been taken. If this is taken accompanied with other drugs another effect may come up too. It must be noted that these drugs are useful in the medical world. However, when use recreationally, they can surely cause dangerous effects to its user.
- Extreme transformation in sensory perception just like hearing a sound in a sharper tone
- Change in perception of oneself
- Misleading auditory and visual senses
- Cheerfulness and gratification
Hallucinogens and Dissociative Drugs: The Risks
Taking any form of drugs within its limit is absolutely helpful. It eases the pain you feel and sometimes heal an unfathomable sickness. However, taking hallucinogens and dissociative drugs may bring a since of fulfillment to oneself at first due to various desired effects. You have to take into consideration that once these drugs penetrate into your nerve you are prone to danger or even fatal accidents since you may experience paranoia, nervousness and sometimes nearing on a complete loss of contact with reality.
The effects of these drugs to the body are absolutely unpredictable. The effects will vary on the amount you have taken and the frequency of use. A person who suddenly stops using such type of drugs may experience irritating withdrawal symptoms. Just in case you know somebody in particular who is abusing hallucinogens and other dissociative drugs, keep in mind that you must seek medical help before the person suffers from dangerous consequences. These drugs must not be used recreationally because their effects are indeed life-threatening.
Find Top Treatment Facilities Near You
- Inpatient / Residential
- Private / Executive
- Therapeutic Counseling
- Effective Results
Call Us Today!
Speak with a Certified Treatment Assesment Counselor who can go over all your treatment options and help you find the right treatment program that fits your needs.
Discuss Treatment Options!
Our Counselors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to discuss your treatment needs and help you find the right treatment solution.
Call Us Today!